Thursday, January 22, 2009

Project 365 ~ Day 21 (January 21, 2009)

Today is Wednesday and we (my daughter Peyton and I) received a frightening email this evening. One of the girls in the Stars girl scout unit, age 15, went missing at about 5 p.m. last night and hasn't been seen of or heard from since. She's in the same girl scout unit as Peyton and she's the same age as Peyton. Her little sister is in Hunter's fourth grade class and I have seen her walk to school every day to pick up Lily, her little sister, to walk her home after school. Only today I saw an older woman, probably her grandmother, walking Lily home. I wondered then if Julia (the missing girl) was sick, before I received the email. I forwarded the alarming email to all the parents at Ward Elementary who's email addresses I knew as they would also know the family and could be on the lookout for Julia, as well as pray for her safe return of course. Receiving that email from my daughter's girl scout leader dredged up horrible memories and feelings of when my own daughter was abducted just two-and-a-half years ago. I can imagine how horrible Julia's parents must be feeling. I am sure that they are feeling lost and frantic and numb and angry all at the same time. UPDATE: Thankfully, I received another email later tonight saying that Julia was found and is safe. I don't know any more of the details but I thank the Lord that she's safe. I pray that she is well. Too much of this is happening and of children being approached by strangers. One detective told me a couple of years ago: "You live in the big city now". Our area of Houston, Clear Lake, is an excellent area. It is the home of many professionals (mostly engineers, astronauts, teachers, etc.) who have chosen Clear Lake as their home. So why is crime escalating? Some purport that it is from the displaced evacuees that moved here from Hurricane Katrina's devastation of New Orleans. Some think that it could be that criminals in Houston are moving further south of the city. I don't know why it is happening, but it makes me think that NO WHERE on earth are we really safe! God, please plant a hedge of protection around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment